Electrostatics Physics is the study of electric charges that are not a in a motion. That is electric phenomena that are brought by charges that are stationery. An atom contains three types of particles namely electron, proton and neutrons. Protons is said to be positively charged, but it has a deficiency of electrons. Electrons have a negative charge and it is full of electron. However, neutrons are said to be neutral that is the number of electrons is the same of the protons. Protons usually have the same amount of positive charge just the same as the amount of negative charge in electrons. Engineering in Kenya has more articles.
Fact behind Electrostatics Physics
Electrostatics Physics describes how charge are transferred between on object to another with the aim of charging the object either to be negatively or positively charged. Electrostatics Physics is possible with the physics law that state, unlike pole attract and like poles repels. This means that when two objects are put together for example, one with positive charges and the other is neutral then the protons from the positively charged object will attract electrons from neutrally charged. Therefore, the object will become negatively charged. During the atom charging, it is only the electrons that move in and out. For example, if we want to make a certain atom become positive, we will have to remove electrons from the atom. The atom will contain more of protons than of electrons. Therefore, it will become a positive atom. If we need a negative atom we will add more electrons. Electrostatics Physic looks at transferring of the electrons from one object to another through contact.
How are objects charged in Electrostatics Physics
Electrostatics Physics explains several methods of charging an object for it to become either positively charged on negatively charged. Before charging take place two objects are needed, one of them must be neutral and the other one must have charge either negative or positive. In Electrostatics Physics a charged object used to charge another one is known as insulator such as the glass rod. According to Electrostatics Physics, there are three methods of charging the neutral object;
- Charging by conduction requires an insulator to be brought closely to the neutrally charged object until they touch each other. As the insulator is brought closer to the object, both the positive and the negative charge will separate. When the two comes in touch the electrons will from the insulator will go to the object making the object to be negatively charged. According to Electrostatics Physics, this method is the best of charging because charge is kept for a long time.
- Redistribution method is described Electrostatics Physics as a method of transferring charges by bringing the insulator and the neutrally charged object close to each other. The closeness of the two will allow separation of particles in the object and the charges might come from the insulator to the object. Electrostatics Physics does not guarantee the method will charge the object since there will be no contact to allow charging.
- Grounding or induction is described as similar to redistribution only the difference being that the object to be charged has to be grounded or fixed to the earth to make the negative charge move to the earth making the object to be positively charged. According to Electrostatics Physics this is the best way to charge an object to be positive.
Real life application of Electrostatics Physics
Electrostatics Physics is applied in several real life situations such as;
- A person wearing nylon, silk or polyester made cloth. When removing it after sometime the cloth will produce sparks which can be visible if there is darkness.
- Rubbing of hands on a carpet and then you immediately hold another person with the same hand. The person will experience some electric shock.
- Rubbing a ruler on a dry hair and then you place the ruler above some small pieces of paper. The paper will be lifted up to the ruler.
These are among the many life experinces that can be brought by Electrostatics Physics
Conclusion in Electrostatics Physics
Electrostatics Physics is an area in general physics that deals with charging of objects through electrons transfer method which can be done in three ways. For charging to be possible an insulator and a neutrally charged object must be there. It may not be known to many people, but there are several life situations that are made possible by Electrostatics Physics.